Tackling the Great Sandy Desert (The desert ALWAYS wins) - Video

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 14:06
ThreadID: 73287 Views:7917 Replies:8 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
For anyone who ever wanted to know what the going is like out in the Australia’s western deserts here is another little piece of Video editing. This film revolves around the 18th June, 2009 as EO members John & Suzette and myself, were headed across old cut lines into the Great Sandy Desert. In was our third day out in our quest for Joanna Spring. Many of these lines were cut through by oil exploration companies in the 70's and early 80's. There are many markers along these lines, usually at points where two lines intersect. Each has an identification tag and a date. Those we were traversing appear to have been laid in 1981 by the Amoco Oil Co.

After 30 years of neglect, these lines are fast being reclaimed by the bush making the going difficult. Being the first area for rainwater runoff, they are subject to erosion and also become a bed for plants, the seeds of which are washed along during the rare but tumultuous rains that fall up here on occasion. In many places, the regenerated scrub in the tracks is thick than the surrounding bush. There were some interesting highlites such as an old cannabis plantation.

Image Could Not Be Found

I managed to stake several tyres during the day, on top of the normal type punctures that take a plug or two. The final three occurred within a 3 kilometre stretch and go to show just how this rough country can soon cause plans to change. Thus an early camp was called some 60 kilometres east of Joanna Spring and I got a master class in Tyre repair for Mr Magic. I had certainly developed an unnatural relationship with my new R&R Bead-breaker by the end of the trip. Not cheap but makes light work of an otherwise difficult job.

The Google Earth image gives a bit of an idea of our track for the day as recorded by my Garmin.

I have inserted this clip into the relevant blog (A day of Stakes & dunes) entry for anyone interested.

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 14:27

Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 14:27
Hey Mick, some nice background music on this and the last one I watched too. And what might the track/ album be? How many punctures have you had this year??..... Warrie
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 388621

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 14:47

Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 14:47
Warrie,

you should know it's rude to ask about a mans punctures LOL. When I left Melbourne, I had 50 plugs for puncture repair. I had 6 large Rema Radial Patches and three small ones as well as three tubes. I got to Port Heland about 27 June with 2 plugs and two small patches left. I had to borrow some more patches at 80 mile beach to repair the tyres there. Prior to the Sandy desert, I hadn't had a puncture and I only got two on the way home (One of those was an old plug leaking). So all the nasty stuff occurred in the 1000 kilometres involved from leaving the Telfor Track and arriving at 80 Mile Beach. Most of the plugs were eaten up in bigger holes 3 to 5 at a time.John had some incredible amount in a gash in one of his Toyo’s. They lasted all the way back to SA. All good fun mate.

The music is from the Ministry of Sound compilation album. I think it’s 2004 but don’t quote me on that.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 656280

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 15:49

Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 15:49
Hi Mick
Once again another great video, well done. Dont you just love those sidewall punctures. Have you ever used Tyrepliers? They seem quicker to break the bead, or is it just the video.

Thanks and keep up your great work.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 388631

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 18:09

Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 18:09
Haven't tried the tyre pliers. This was the first time I'd used the R&R so I was a bit slow. Once we had it on though it really was a pretty quick process. The R&R also has a spreader and you use it to assist in re-fitting the tyres as well. Didn't have to use the butane this time Stephen so I still have my eyebrows LOL.

Ah yes, the sidewall punctures. The majority of mine were in the vicinity of where the tread joins the sidewall so with a heavier sided MT type tyre like the STT or the Toyo, I'd have saved myself a few holes I reckon. Cruel country for any tyre though mate.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 656333

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 19:10

Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 19:10
Hi Mick,
From previous experience, the first few lead vehicles in cross country work will collect the punctures, clearing the way for the following vehicles. When speaking to one tyre repairer in Birdsville a few years back, he said that in any cross country work, no brand of tyre was any better than any other in that real mulga country, when side wall punctures are part and parcel of that terrain. The only way to stop it is below, mounted over the outside of a truck tyre. Just how good they were would be to be seen, but from the look they would be great. These were at an old bore in the Great Victoria Desert.

Cheers

Stephen
Image Could Not Be Found Image Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 656351

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 19:43

Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 19:43
Funny, I caught up with Pete (Ozhumvee) in Sydney on Friday and he was mentioning the track systems. He had actually owned a set for the Hummer. I often wondered how they would go in the sand, spinifex and mulga country. Cripes think of the fuel economy!!!
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 656359

Reply By: jschacher1 - Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 17:16

Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 17:16
I have just watched some of your videos for the first time, absolutely fantastic, thank you for sharing...!
AnswerID: 388649

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 18:10

Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 18:10
Glad you're enjoying them. Still only learning. Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 656334

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 18:17

Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 18:17
Good stuff Mick, nice footage and editing.

What model video camera are you using? thanks.

Rob.
I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 388658

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 19:41

Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 19:41
I have the Sony HDR-XR200. It has a 120 Gig hard drive and 4 megapixel still camera. The anti-shock/shake system in it is absolutely fantastic. It also has a GPS feature that tags your video to a GPS location and you can then view on Google maps etc. This especially suited me because of the remote off track travelling I do. I have been very impressed with the unit.John & Suzette who travelled with me this year we also suitably impressed and bought the unit above this one on their return.

In the vehicle, I use a RAM mount clipped to the Jesus handle on the A Pillar. I did have it on the passenger’s side and operated it with the remote but found it was a damn site easier to control with it on the A pillar beside me. These bits and bobs from RAM you can get on the GPSOZ website about $60 for everything ( http://www.gpsoz.com.au/ram.htm ).

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers Mick

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 656358

Follow Up By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 19:55

Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 19:55
Thanks Mick
I wan't to up date my video soon
nice set up there you can allmost see out the windscreen LOL.

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 656361

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 21:50

Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 21:50
Mick
Great mounting for the video camera. Where did you get hold of that great devise.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 656390

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 22:29

Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 22:29
2nd Paragraph of my response, just above the photo.....DOH!
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 656398

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 23:57

Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 23:57
You're getting better Mick. Really enjoyed that one. I've got the R& R's as well and before each trip I give myself a refresher course. Also pack the instructional DVD to play on the lap top, just in case. Touch wood never had to use them in anger yet.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 388713

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2009 at 17:31

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2009 at 17:31
Know the feeling Dunc. It's only because of the tracks, or lack thereof, that I do that I end up using it. Never really had any serious punctures on the common garden variety outback tracks and roads. Glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 656836

Reply By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Monday, Oct 26, 2009 at 16:27

Monday, Oct 26, 2009 at 16:27
G'day Mick,

Very interesting and well done. I think I might just replace my Tyrepliers if the
R&R is really as easy as you made it look..

Any idea when the cannabis plantation 'closed its doors'?? Might not have been
as profitable as first thought.......long way to the shops..lol

FWIW my local tyre guru claims that vegetable oil is the best thing to use when
reseating tyres..

Cheers
Michael
AnswerID: 388807

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2009 at 17:33

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2009 at 17:33
Cheers Michael,

I made a few enquiries along those lines in WA but couldn't find anything. There werde quite a few of these. Memory tells me that it was these sort of plantations that the Creepy Murdock bloke from the Falconio murder used to pick up from in his Cruiser. That's why he knew the back routes so well.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 656837

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Oct 26, 2009 at 19:35

Monday, Oct 26, 2009 at 19:35
Mick,

That's a damn good video matey! Well Done!! I love your set up, I have been going to get something like that for mine.

What editing software do you use?

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 388842

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2009 at 00:27

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2009 at 00:27
Cheers Brian. In your neck of the woods as I type (Brisvegas). Using Windows Movie Maker believe it or not. It's bloody great and very easy to use. Still learning some of the intricacies involved in the sound department but otherwise, it's all good. Thanks for the comments.

Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 656607

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2009 at 07:24

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2009 at 07:24
Hi Mick,

When you're coming through the Gold Coast, give me an MM and we'll meet up for a cuppa if you have time.

Movie Maker eh?? I use Adobe Premier and I thought some of your transitions were similar but I guess they would all all have similar transitions and effects, wouldn't they? Very good work I thought, amazing how a bit of editing and music can make our home videos into masterpieces isn't it? I have researched the ram mount gear you are using and found exactly want I'm looking for, so thanks for your comments on that too mate.

Cheers

Brian

FollowupID: 656611

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2009 at 18:34

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2009 at 18:34
Mick

when are you going to share some of those plot file? some of us like to down load them and check out where people have been, and how they got along there travels, I know you use Track ranger and OE uses OziExplorer, I'm sure David can write a program to covert yours as they are up loaded.

Cheers

Richard
AnswerID: 389134

Sponsored Links